How To Fix Not Getting iMessage Notifications
So recently I started facing this problem where one of my macbook’s was not receiving all iMessage notifications. I’d get some notifications from existing contacts but nothing from net new contacts and no automated security code messages (i.e. multi-factor authentication when logging into a bank). Further, I was seeing the contact’s phone number listed but not the full name for existing contacts. Below, I outline two approaches on how to fix iMessage notifications after playing with a few settings.
- Re-sync your iCloud – In order for iMessages to work properly, the platform identifies people by matching their ID (phone number or email) with your Contacts synced in iCloud. At times this synchronization can get wonky as you add devices and your settings may change over time (depending on what you are syncing to iCloud) and so its a quick way to re-sync and obtain the latest contact info between your devices.
- Choose System Preferences from your Mac’s dock.
- Click on your Apple ID.
- Select iCloud on the left.
- Uncheck Contacts.
- Recheck the Contacts box.
- Update to the latest version of Mac OS – This one is an obvious one but a necessary check. The easiest fix to this issue might be to reboot your device. You should also use the time to upgrade to the latest macOS if you haven’t already done so.
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left of your device.
- Choose About This Mac.
- Select Software Update… Install the update, if applicable.
- Once the update is complete, click on the Apple icon at the top left of your device.
- Select Restart…
- Choose Restart in the pop-up box to reboot your Mac.
For more How To content, check out latest posts here.